Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)
Date: 2012-12-07 23:51:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff,

* Jeff Davis (pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com) wrote:
> Most of your concerns seem to be related to freezing, and I'm mostly
> interested in HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED optimizations. So I think we're
> talking past each other.

My concern is about this patch/capability as a whole. I agree that the
hint bit setting may be fine by itself, I'm not terribly concerned with
that. Now, if you (and others) aren't concerned about the overall
behavior that is being introduced here, that's fine, but it was my
understanding from previous discussions that making tuples visible to
all transactions, even those started before the committing transaction
which are set more strictly than 'read-committed', wasn't 'ok'.

Now, what I've honestly been hoping for on this thread was for someone
to speak up and point out why I'm wrong about this concern and explain
how this patch addresses that issue. If that's been done, I've missed
it..

Thanks,

Stephen