Re: ALTER TABLE ... NOREWRITE option

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE ... NOREWRITE option
Date: 2012-12-06 19:04:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2012-12-06 18:42:22 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 6 December 2012 18:31, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> >> How are event triggers more dangerous than normal triggers/functions?
> >
> > Normal triggers aren't run when the catalog is in an in-between state
> > because they aren't run while catalog modifications are taking place.
>
> "in-between state" means what? And what danger do you see?

For example during table rewrites we have a temporary pg_class entry
thats a full copy of the table, with a separate oid, relfilenode and
everything. That gets dropped rather unceremonially, without the usual
safety checks. If the user did anything referencing that table we would
possibly have a corrupt catalog or even a segfault at our hands.

For normal triggers the code takes quite some care to avoid such
dangers.

> If its just "someone might write bad code" that horse has already
> bolted - functions, triggers, executor hooks, operators, indexes etc

Not sure what you mean by that. Those don't get called in situation
where they don't have a reliable work-environment.

> I don't see any difference between an event trigger and these statements...
>
> BEGIN;
> ALTER TABLE x ...;
> SELECT somefunction();
> ALTER TABLE y ...;
> COMMIT;

Event triggers get called *during* the ALTER TABLE. So if were not
careful they see something thats not easy to handle.

I am for example not sure what would happen if we had a "rewrite" event
trigger which inserts a log entry into a logtable. Not a stupid idea,
right?
Now imagine we had a deferred unique key on that logtable and the
logtable is the one that gets rewritten...

Greetings,

Andres Freund