Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commits 8de72b and 5457a1 (COPY FREEZE)
Date: 2012-12-06 16:55:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I haven't looked at the committed patch - which seemed a bit

Disclaimer- neither have I, but..

When I last recall this discussion (likely in some bar in Europe), the
problem was also that an independent session would be able to:

a) see that the table exists (due to SnapshotNow being used for lookups)
b) see rows in the table

Part 'a' is something which I think would be good to fix (but hard),
and it sounds like this patch might make part 'b' happen, which I think
makes the part 'a' problem worse. I'm guessing this isn't a problem for
the TRUNCATE case because the second session would still be looking at
the pre-TRUNCATE files on disk, right? Is that reference to exactly
which files on disk to look at being used to address the CREATE problem
too..?

That said, I love the idea of having a way to drop tuples in w/o having
to go back and rewrite them three times..

Thanks,

Stephen