Re: the number of pending entries in GIN index with FASTUPDATE=on

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the number of pending entries in GIN index with FASTUPDATE=on
Date: 2012-11-28 02:11:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > 1. This patch applies current git head cleanly, but installation
> > ends up with failure because of the lack of
> > pgstattuple--1.0--1.1.sql which added in Makefile.
>
> Added pgstattuple--1.0--1.1.sql.

Good. Installation completed and ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE works
with that.

> > 2. I feel somewhat uneasy with size for palloc's (it's too long),
> > and BuildTupleFromCString used instead of heap_from_tuple.. But
> > it would lead additional modification for existent simillars.
>
> OK. I changed the code as you suggested.

Thank you. It looks simpler than the last one. (although the way
differs to pgstatindex..)

> > 3. pgstatginidex shows only version, pending_pages, and
> > pendingtuples. Why don't you show the other properties such as
> > entry pages, data pages, entries, and total pages as
> > pgstatindex does?
>
> I didn't expose those because they are accurate as of last VACUUM.
> But if you think they are useful, I don't object to expose them.

Ok, my point was the apparent consistency of the functions. I
don't have any distinct wish about this.

I'll mark this as Ready for Committer.

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi