Re: In pg_upgrade, copy fsm, vm, and extent files by checking for fi

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: In pg_upgrade, copy fsm, vm, and extent files by checking for fi
Date: 2012-11-24 03:31:13
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 06:28:41PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 06:15:30PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> >
> > > Well, testing showed using open() was a big win.
> >
> > ... on the filesystem you tested on. I'm concerned that it might not
> > look so good on other platforms.
>
> True. I am on ext3. So I need to generate a proof-of-concept patch and
> have others test it?

OK, test patch attached. The patch will only work if your database uses
a single tablespace. Doing multiple tablespaces seemed too complex for
the test patch.

Here are my results:

# tables git bsearch patch
1 11.16 10.99
1000 19.13 19.26
2000 26.78 27.11
4000 43.81 42.15
8000 79.96 77.38
16000 165.26 162.24
32000 378.18 368.49
64000 1083.35 1086.77

As you can see, the bsearch code doesn't see to make much difference.
Sometimes it is faster, other times, slower --- seem to be just
measurement noise. This code uses the same method of file lookup as git
head, meaning it looks for specific files rather than patterns --- this
simplified the bsearch code.

Can anyone see a consistent improvement with the bsearch patch?
Attached is my test shell script. There is no reason we can't use
bsearch(), except not using it allows us to remove the pg_upgrade
directory listing function.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_upgrade.diff text/x-diff 8.3 KB