Re: proposal - assign result of query to psql variable

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shigeru HANADA <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal - assign result of query to psql variable
Date: 2012-10-25 14:24:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I gave this a look. I think it needs to be revised by somebody with a
better understanding of scanner (flex) than me, but I didn't like the
changes in psqlscan.l at all; the new <xvl> pattern is too unlike the
rest of the surrounding patterns, and furthermore it has been placed
within the block that says it mirrors the backend scanner, when it
obviously has no equivalent there.

I assume there's a better way to do this. Hints would be appreciated.