Re: ALTER command reworks

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER command reworks
Date: 2012-10-17 20:09:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kohei KaiGai escribió:
> 2012/10/5 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>:

> The attached patch fixes the messaging issue.
> I newly add func_signature_string_oid() that returns compatible function's
> signature, but takes its object-id.
>
> So, the error message is now constructed as:
> + case OBJECT_AGGREGATE:
> + case OBJECT_FUNCTION:
> + errorm = format_elog_string("function %s already exists in
> schema \"%s\"",
> + func_signature_string_oid(objectId),
> + get_namespace_name(namespaceId));
> + break;

Thanks, yeah, this works for me.

I am now wondering if it would make sense to merge the duplicate-name
error cases in AlterObjectNamespace_internal and
AlterObjectRename_internal. The former only works when there is a name
catcache for the object type. Maybe we can create a single function to
which we give the object type, name/args, oid, etc, and it uses a
catcache if available and falls back to get_object_address (with the
IMO ugly name list manipulations) if not.