Re: BUG #6412: psql & fe-connect truncate passwords

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andy Grimm <agrimm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6412: psql & fe-connect truncate passwords
Date: 2012-10-17 15:21:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Andy Grimm escribió:

> Sorry that it's been a couple of weeks, but I have gotten around to
> working on a patch that address more of these concerns. The attached
> patch should
>
> 1) allow arbitrary length passwords to be read from a file via initdb --pwfile
> 2) allow the client to accept a password of arbitrary length at the
> password prompt
> 3) allow a password of arbitrary length in a pgpass file

This patch is in an awkward position. It was submitted back in February
and then ignored for months. It got added by Robert into this
commitfest, but the submitter hasn't gotten involved at all. Then
Heikki posted a review a month ao and pointed out a number of issues
which are still waiting to be fixed. If this patch is something we
want, then perhaps somebody else should grab it, fix the issues, and
resubmit to the next commitfest.

If we don't want it (and some have suggested) then we just quietly let
the thread die here.

I am marking it Returned with Feedback for now.