Re: Pre-alloc ListCell's optimization

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pre-alloc ListCell's optimization
Date: 2012-08-30 01:46:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 06:19:52PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Dropping it to 4 improved performance a bit: 9476 tps.
> >
> > Going to keep playing around and see where this goes.
>
> Any status on this?

Based on the test runs that I did using Josh's box (thanks!), the
performance with the pre-allocation patch and an pre-alloc of 8 ends up
being about a wash. Allocating less (4) or more (16) actually makes
things worse. I've been playing with perf to see if I can figure out
what's going on. That hasn't been terribly productive thus far. It's a
bit frustrating. Rest assured, I'll post to the list if I'm able to
make any good headway on improving performance with this approach.

Thanks,

Stephen