Re: adding a field

From: Anne Wainwright <anotheranne(at)fables(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: adding a field
Date: 2012-08-10 11:55:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:16:27AM +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Anne Wainwright wrote on 10.08.2012 10:04:
>> to add a field I have to take the data out, add a new field to postgres,
>> add a new (delimiter)field with any default data at the end of each
>> record, then put the data back.
>>
>> right?
>>

> No, just add it:
>
> alter table foo add column new_col text;
>
> adds a new character column.
>
> What do you think a "delimiter field" is?

adding a field to a delimited record involves putting an extra delimiter
(I use |) at the end of each record exported from postgresql into a
file. this creates a new blank field to match the table which by now
has had a new field added.

I actually use Kexi to work on the database, and I know think that it is
kexi that enforces this requirement. ie go to the kexi design and add in
a field will total the existing data. If my memory is correct a warning
comes up when you try to save the revised design.

I don't know why, never had this with Paradox (there's history for
you!).

Anne