how to get desired html format output?

From: Anne Wainwright <anotheranne(at)fables(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to get desired html format output?
Date: 2012-08-09 09:07:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

new here. i like the 'novice' list title, that about describes me.
part-time hacker, casual coder, would also be good descriptions.

have a one-table database holding descriptive records of catalogued
books.

normally I would output data in a delimited format and use a perl script
to do all the formatting to turn the data into a full html table. I
have done this very successfully from my old database _but_ this would
export individual <field names> as field delimiters which made it easier
to write the script than, as with postgresql, where we have a uniformly
delimited output.

as a general road map. Is it possible to create output with all the
necessary html code for a table (font attributes and the like) direct
from postgresql (using a psql command)? One command and bingo, one table
ready to drop into my waiting html page?

would this normally be done perhaps with a file that could be called by
psql. This file with all the psql query commands/options and the html
formatting code within?

or should I rather create a new perl script to do the dirty?

if the former, can you please point me to some understandable 'howto' or
other documentation.

bestest & thanks for help

Anne