Re: pg_prewarm

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Stefan Keller <sfkeller(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_prewarm
Date: 2012-06-20 21:02:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The biggest problem with pgfincore from my point of view is that it
> only works under Linux, whereas I use a MacOS X machine for my
> development, and there is also Windows to think about. Even if that
> were fixed, though, I feel we ought to have something in the core
> distribution. This patch got more +1s than 95% of what gets proposed
> on hackers.

pgfincore works also on BSD kernels. Can you try on your MacOSX ? (I don't
have one here).
As of freeBSD 8.3 there is suport for posix_fadvise call so both PostgreSQL
core and pgfincore now support the preloading on this distribution (I've not
tested it recently but it should).

All pgfincore features should now works in most places, except windows.

> > Also, Robert has accurately described this as "mechanism, not policy".
> > That's fine, that's what all of our stuff is. Replication and most of
> > postgresql.conf suffers from that. Eventually someone will want to
> > create a way to save and restore various caches across server restarts,
> > as discussed before. Would that mean there will be a third way to do
> > all this, or could we at least align things a bit so that such a
> > facility could use most of the proposed prewarming stuff? (Patches for
> > the cache restoring exist, so it should be possible to predict this a
> > little bit.)
>
> Well, pg_buffercache + pg_prewarm is enough to save and restore shared
> buffers. Not the OS cache, but we don't have portable code to query
> the OS cache yet anyway.

+pgfincore and the OS cache part is done.

--
Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/