Partitioned Tables

From: Wayne Cuddy <lists-pgsql(at)useunix(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Partitioned Tables
Date: 2012-06-13 00:05:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm using partitioned tables where a child table is chosen based on a
time stamp. One child table exists for each month.

I move records from a temp table to the partitioned table via something like
this:

INSERT INTO parent_table SELECT * FROM temp_table;

All works well but with when inserting to standard tables the insert
result contains the number of records inserted. I've found that when I
insert into partitioned tables the result is always zero.

I'm using the TCL binding (pgintcl) but psql behaves the same way. Is
there any way to determine the number of rows actually inserted?

Thanks,
Wayne