Re: pg_dump and thousands of schemas

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and thousands of schemas
Date: 2012-06-13 01:45:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

>>> OK, I found the problem.  In fixing a merge conflict, I had it execute
>>> the query every time it appended a table, rather than just at the end.
>>>
>>> With my proposed patch in place, I find that for a full default dump
>>> your patch is slightly faster with < 300,000 tables, and slightly
>>> slower with > 300,000.  The differences are generally <2% in either
>>> direction.  When it comes to back-patching and partial dumps, I'm not
>>> really sure what to test.
>>>
>>> For the record, there is still a quadratic performance on the server,
>>> albeit with a much smaller constant factor than the Reassign one.  It
>>> is in get_tabstat_entry.  I don't know if is worth working on that in
>>> isolation--if PG is going to try to accommodate 100s of thousands of
>>> table, there probably needs to be a more general way to limit the
>>> memory used by all aspects of the rel caches.
>>
>> I would like to test your patch and w/without my patch. Could you
>> please give me the patches? Or do you have your own git repository?
>
> The main patch is in the commit fest as "Resource Owner reassign Locks
> for the sake of pg_dump"
>
> My re-basing of your patch is attached.

I tested your patches with current master head. The result was pretty
good. Before it took 125 minutes (with 9.2 devel) to dump 100k empty
tables and now it takes only less than 4 minutes!

$ time pg_dump test >/dev/null

real 3m56.412s
user 0m12.059s
sys 0m3.571s

Good job!

Now I applied rebased pg_dump patch.

real 4m1.779s
user 0m11.621s
sys 0m3.052s

Unfortunately I see no improvement. Probably my patch's value is for
dumping against older backend.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan