Re: How could we make it simple to access the log as a table?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How could we make it simple to access the log as a table?
Date: 2012-05-22 00:59:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh,

* Josh Berkus (josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com) wrote:
> Certainly this can be done ad-hoc using CSV format and csv_fdw.
> However, such setups are fragile due to log rotation and other issues.
> It seems like we could come up with a better way. Ideas?

This is really where I was hoping to eventually get to with the logging
changes that have been discussed over the past couple of years. We need
to have a mechanism to allow logging to different places, based on
information included in the log message and/or context, where one of
those places could potentially be some kind of receiver process that
then dumps the message into a table, either on the local system or on a
remote system.

What exactly all of that looks like and how it works is a pretty big
discussion, but I'd definitely love to hear from others who are
interested in changes to our logging infrastructure.

Thanks,

Stephen