Re: Draft release notes complete

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PeterEisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft release notes complete
Date: 2012-05-12 13:27:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In summary, names on release note items potentially have the following
beneficial effects:

* Encouraging new developers/reviewers
* Encouraging long-established developers
* Showing appreciation to developers
* Assisting future employment for developers
* Helping developers get future funding
* Assigning responsibility for features
* Assigning blame for feature problems
* Showing Postgres's increased developer base

Many of these goals has already been mentioned. So the question is
which of these is important? If we emphasize all of them, I am afraid
the name list for each item will be too long to be acceptable.

How many names on a single item is ideal? The activity of reviewers and
their names on commit messages has greatly expanded the number of
potential names per item.

How much of a downside is having the names in the release notes? For
example, we decided that company names shouldn't be on release note
items, so there is a case where we decided names were more of a negative
than a positive. Are there other negatives? Do other project release
notes have developer names? How are these names perceived by our
general readers?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com