Re: Request to add options to tools/git_changelog

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request to add options to tools/git_changelog
Date: 2012-04-26 05:01:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 05:09:04PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > The attached patch gives you an idea of what I want to add.
>
> This patch doesn't seem to be against HEAD?

Yes, if people approve, I will work on a current patch against HEAD.

> > --details-after Show branch and author info after the commit description
>
> I don't understand the point of that.

The release notes have the author at the end of the text.

> > --master-only Show commits made exclusively to the master branch
>
> Agreed, this could be useful.
>
> > --oldest-first Show oldest commits first
>
> This also seems rather useless in comparison to how much it complicates
> the code. We don't sort release note entries by commit date, so what's
> it matter?

It is very hard to read the commit messages newest-first because they
are often cummulative, and the order of items of equal weight is
oldest-first in the release notes.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com