Re: ECPG FETCH readahead

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: ECPG FETCH readahead
Date: 2012-04-16 16:04:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 06:24:57AM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> Yes, just like when the readahead window set to 256, FETCH 1024
> will iterate through 4 windows or FETCH 64 iterates through the
> same window 4 times. This is the idea behind the "readahead window".

Really? It's definitely not the idea behind FETCH 1024. Using the same window 4
times for FETCH 64 is the idea though, I agree.

> How about allowing the readahead window to be resized for the
> non-decorated case if the runtime encounters FETCH N and N is
> greater than the previous window?

To be resized by what? IMO a FETCH N should always be a FETCH N, no matter
what, i.e. if the readahead window is larger, use it, but even if it's smaller
we should still fetch N at the same time.

Michael

--
Michael Meskes
Jabber: michael.meskes at googlemail dot com