The scope of extensions

From: Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: The scope of extensions
Date: 2012-04-16 15:05:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi folks,

I'm a happy creator/user of extensions (e.g. my postgresql_debversion
extension). But I'm wondering if they can be used for more than just
simple types:

- can an extension depend upon another extension? This would probably
be implicit based upon the use of an object which belonged to another
extension? (Are the META.json dependency metadata actually used at
runtime?)

- can relations just as tables, indexes, views and associated stuff
such as triggers be included as part of an extension? Are there
limits upon what may be part of an extension?

The reason for the above is that I'd very much like to be able to
version my entire application's schema using the extension mechanism
(or something based upon the ideas in the extensions mechanism). Since
SCHEMA is already taken, maybe CREATE/ALTER/DROP_APPLICATION. This
would permit easy installation and upgrade of all the objects relating
to a single application installed in the database.

Thanks,
Roger

--
.''`. Roger Leigh