Re: How to successfully create a new function?

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to successfully create a new function?
Date: 2012-03-30 07:53:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Moon, James <moonj(at)pbworld(dot)com> wrote:

> Good day! A little help, please….
>

> Postgresql 8.3
>
> pgAdmin III v.1.8.4
>

> Creating a new function, or modifying an existing function to:
>

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "sp_SetScenario"(scen character varying) RETURNS
> void AS
>
> $BODY$DECLARE
>
> sqlStatement varchar(500);
>
> BEGIN
>
> SET sqlStatement = 'ALTER USER postgres WITH DEFAULT_SCHEMA =
> $1';
>
> EXEC(sqlStatement);
>
> END;
>
> $BODY$
>
> LANGUAGE 'sql' VOLATILE
>
> COST 100;

You have to change:

- language pgpgsql, not sql, sql don't contains variables
- change exec() to execute

> NOTICE: This communication and any attachments ("this message") may contain
> confidential information for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any
> unauthorized use, disclosure, viewing, copying, alteration, dissemination or
> distribution of, or reliance on this message is strictly prohibited. If you
> have received this message in error, or you are not an authorized recipient,
> please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, delete this
> message and all copies from your e-mail system and destroy any printed copies.

Please try to avoid this bullshit...

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°