Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation
Date: 2012-03-09 01:40:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 11:59:59PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On tor, 2012-03-08 at 16:44 -0500, A.M. wrote:
> > The point of writing temp files to the /tmp/ directory is that they
> > don't need to be cleaned up.
>
> I don't think so. If everyone just left their junk lying around
> in /tmp, it would fill up just like any other partition.

/tmp has a larger problem; see:

http://lwn.net/Articles/390323/

The only proper fix is to create a directory in /tmp and write into
there.

pg_upgrade has been writing into the current directory since it was
started, and no one has complained, and it leaves these files in the
current directory only if it fails, or --retain is used, so it will
clean up after itself. Actually, I think it originally write into the
user's home directory, but that caused problems.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com