Re: PG migration policy

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG migration policy
Date: 2012-01-29 13:42:31
Lists: pgsql-general

In addition to all this, you will need to outline an actual plan for
the migration itself:

1) Steps to migrate
2) Testing strategy to ensure the migration actually worked
3) Estimated time
3a) How much of that time is actual downtime
4) Fallback plan in case the migration fails

For such documents, we also include a checklist for everything that needs
to be done so that it can be signed off at each step of the process.

I didn't see "monitoring" on Sim's list, but in addition to the stuff you
monitor for any server, you'll need to monitor DB-specific stuff like
table bloat, slow queries, etc.