Re: Point in Time Recovery

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Point in Time Recovery
Date: 2004-07-16 13:37:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> We only need to tell people to backup pg_control first. The rest was only
> intended to enforce
> 1. that pg_control is the first file backed up
> 2. the dba uses a large enough PIT (or xid) for restore

Right, but I think Bruce's point is that it is far too easy to get those
things wrong; especially point 2 for which a straight tar dump will
simply not contain the information you need to determine what is a safe
stopping point.

I agree with Bruce that we should have some mechanism that doesn't rely
on the DBA to get this right. Exactly what the mechanism should be is
certainly open for discussion...