Re: Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server : Could not get socket error status

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Shankar Palaniappan <shankar(dot)palaniappan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server : Could not get socket error status
Date: 2011-12-26 22:48:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Saturday, December 24, 2011 4:54:04 am Shankar Palaniappan wrote:
> On Dec 23, 7:51 pm, adrian(dot)kla(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com (Adrian Klaver) wrote:
> > On Friday, December 23, 2011 1:32:49 am Shankar Palaniappan wrote:
> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your response.
> > >
> > > I am able to connect to the database through psql command. Please find
> > > the commands that I have tried through PHP and no success for past 3
> > > days.
> > > Please let me know whether you can help me in this issue.
> >
> > Some questions:
> > 1) What is the connection string are you using for psql?
>
> psql -p 5495 -d support_tool -U gls -h localhost
>
> > 2) How are you connecting in each case(PHP,psql), remotely or locally?
>
> I am connecting the psql from local and PHP from remote system. I was
> also able to access the postgres from the same system using C program

Well in a previous post you indicated your connection strings for the PHP code
where:

$dbh = pg_connect("host=/tmp/ dbname=test_tool port=5495 user=apache
password=apache connect_timeout=20");
// $dbh = pg_connect("host=localhost port=5495 dbname=test_tool");
// $options = " host='localhost' port='5495' user='gls' password=''
dbname='test_tool' ";

The above would not work if you are trying to connect to a remote server. The
first tries to connect to a local socket and the other two are attempts to
connect to localhost. Your host would need to be the hostname(ip address) of
the host that the Postgres server is running on.

> I am running the postmaster with
>
> postmaster -i -D /path
>
> I am running with the following version and I dont have the privilege
> to update the existing versions. listen_addresses option is not
> available in the existing version
>
> postmaster (PostgreSQL) 7.4.2
> PHP 5.2.6
>
> Today I found one issue.. where I was not able to run the postmaster
> with -h option ( that is not other than localhost)
>
> The error what I got is that it was not able to create the listening
> socket.
>
> LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Can't assign requested address
> HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5496? If not,
> wait a few seconds and retry.
> FATAL: could not create listen socket for "IP address"

This would seem to indicate what the HINT says, that another Postgres server is
running.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com