Re: Setting bigger OS cache on Windows server

From: "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Lukas <Lukas(at)fmf(dot)vtu(dot)lt>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Setting bigger OS cache on Windows server
Date: 2011-12-05 20:32:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 10:24:17PM +0200, Lukas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found such note in wiki of Postgresql
> (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server ):
> Note that on Windows (and on PostgreSQL versions before 8.1), large values
> for shared_buffers aren't as effective, and you may find better results
> keeping it relatively low and using the OS cache more instead.
>
> Can anyone tell how OS cache should be increased on windows server?
>

> thx
> Lukas

I think that like Linux it is not a tunable setting. The OS will us
as much memory as it can while still meeting the memory resource needs
of the applications running on the machine. The upshot is -- buy more
memory. The take-away from the above doc quote is to drop the amount
of shared_buffers for PostgreSQL, since you can control that.

Cheers,
Ken