Re: Regarding licensing of Postgresql

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regarding licensing of Postgresql
Date: 2011-12-05 12:43:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 08:55:08AM +0000, Jayashankar K B wrote:
> Does that mean, we have to distribute whole source code including our proprietary software source?

I think this was already covered, but I'll restate:

- The source code you get from the PostgreSQL site is under the
BSD license. This is a free software license that permits you
to do more or less anything with the software itself, including
making special proprietary changes, keeping them secret, and
packaging and shipping the results.

- If you are using other software also, then that might affect
what you must do (and this list isn't the place to get answers
about it). Most importantly, if you have included GPL packages
in what you are doing, then that more restrictive license is the
one you need to conform to, because you need to conform to all
the licenses you are covered by.

- In general, if you are linked to GPL'd code, then you will need
to release your own source code too. You should, however,
probably consult a lawyer about this topic: this list is not a
source of legal advice, and legal advice you get on a mailing
list is in any case worth what you paid for it.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca