Re: Linux server connection process consumes all memory

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux server connection process consumes all memory
Date: 2011-12-04 06:17:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Saturday, December 03, 2011 05:43:30 PM Ioannis Anagnostopoulos wrote:
> Hi thank you for the answer, I am referring to the postgres process
> on the Linux server corresponding to the connection I have established.
> After doing a TOP you may see quite a few postgres processes. One of them
> belongs to the connection established by the client application. It is this
> process that grows consuming memory.

Tom has posted a request for some follow-up information that might help track
this down.

One thought, though, is it possible you are creating a new prepared statement
for each query instead of re-using one? And then not relelasing them? I did a
quick test and creating millions of prepared statements will chew up a lot of
memory pretty quick in the backend.