Re: Allow substitute allocators for PGresult.

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow substitute allocators for PGresult.
Date: 2011-11-12 01:34:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Heikki's idea is probably superior so far as PG backend usage is
> concerned in isolation, but I wonder if there are scenarios where a
> client application would like to be able to manage libpq's allocations.

The answer to that is certainly 'yes'. It was one of the first things
that I complained about when moving from Oracle to PG. With OCI, you
can bulk load results directly into application-allocated memory areas.

Haven't been following the dblink discussion, so not going to comment
about that piece.

Thanks,

Stephen