Re: Developing a searching engine

From: "Jean-Yves F(dot) Barbier" <12ukwn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Developing a searching engine
Date: 2011-11-04 19:40:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:09:30 -0600
JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I am developing a web application in which I want to include a search
> engine but I would like to "recommend" possible situations. For example, if
> a user wants to search for the name of an artist, lets say RINGO STAR, an
> it is typed RYNGO ZTAR; I would like to suggest such a user that he/she
> could have meant RINGO STAR.
> I have read PostgreSQL documentation and I see the LIKE and SIMILAR
> operators, can one of them serve my purpose or should I look for a special
> algorithm?

What you're asking is closer to fussystrmatch or pg_trgm
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/fuzzystrmatch.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/pgtrgm.html
as you're asking for a fork of research that depends on Levenshtein
distance between words.
However, only the 2nd one seems to have fulltext integration possibility.

--
"I'd love to go out with you, but I have to floss my cat."