Re: Add socket dir to pg_config..?

From: "Mr(dot) Aaron W(dot) Swenson" <titanofold(at)gentoo(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add socket dir to pg_config..?
Date: 2011-10-29 20:28:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 06:33:39PM +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> > Er, which distros other than debian/ubuntu?
>
> Well, any and all derivatives I guess, to begin with.
>
> http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=independence#debian
> Based on Debian GNU/Linux: 129 Distributions
>
> More seriously, I'm not sure how to understand why some people will both
> frown upon distribution allowing themselves to patch the version of
> PostgreSQL they are packaging, and vote against making their life
> easier.
>
> If /tmp is the only decent place where to put the socket file on Unix
> when security and other concerns are considered, then sure, making
> distro life difficult is a good thing to do. But then let's take it to
> the FHS that debian and ubuntu are implementing, AFAIUI.
>
> I'm puzzled, maybe I'm not understanding a key point here though.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Dimitri Fontaine
> http://2ndQuadrant.fr PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support

In Gentoo, we change the socket directory to /var/run/postgresql via
pg_config_manual.h. However, I'm not too terribly interested in pg_config
outputting the directory location.

We inform users at the end of every install where the default location
is. Further, all of the packages we maintain build against the sources so
the packages automatically know where the socket directory is located.

--
Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
Gentoo Linux Developer