Re: PostgreSQL Naming Rules

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Buckley <robertdbuckley(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Naming Rules
Date: 2011-10-28 14:27:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday, October 28, 2011 3:49:58 am Robert Buckley wrote:
> Hi,
> according to this
> article http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=409471, the naming
> of tables, and fields is restricted to 63 characters and must start with
> an underscore or letter. Nothing is however said about in which character
> set.
>
> Am I allowed to name a table field < Änderung_1 >. The Ä is a german letter
> contained within the UTF8 character set.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-
SYNTAX-IDENTIFIERS

"SQL identifiers and key words must begin with a letter (a-z, but also letters
with diacritical marks and non-Latin letters) or an underscore (_). Subsequent
characters in an identifier or key word can be letters, underscores, digits
(0-9), or dollar signs ($). Note that dollar signs are not allowed in identifiers
according to the letter of the SQL standard, so their use might render
applications less portable. The SQL standard will not define a key word that
contains digits or starts or ends with an underscore, so identifiers of this form
are safe against possible conflict with future extensions of the standard. "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com