Re: pg_upgrade if 'postgres' database is dropped

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade if 'postgres' database is dropped
Date: 2011-10-28 02:45:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> I have not seen enough demand to make this a user-visible configuration.
> We can just tell them to create a postgres database. Frankly, they
> would have had to _remove_ the postgres database after initdb for it not
> to be there, and they are instructed to change nothing about the new
> database.

Yes, they would have removed it because they didn't want it. As I
recall, part of the agreement to create an extra database by default was
that it could be removed if users didn't want it. Turning around and
then saying "but things won't work if it's not there" isn't exactly
supporting users who decide to remove it.

Regarding pg_dumpall and pg_restore, I'm pretty sure both of those can
be configured to connect to other databases instead, including for
globals.

Thanks,

Stephen