Re: about EDITOR_LINENUMBER_SWITCH

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: about EDITOR_LINENUMBER_SWITCH
Date: 2011-10-14 19:53:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of vie oct 14 09:36:47 -0300 2011:

> > > True. We don't add configuration changes in minor versions so having
> > > minor-version granularity makes no sense.
> > >
> > > The attached patch changes this to use the _major_ version number for
> > > psql rc files. Does this have to be backward-compatible? Should I
> > > check for minor and major matches? That is going to be confusing to
> > > document.
> >
> > Checking for a minor match and then a major match seems sensible.
>
> And backwards compatible too! +1 to that. An idea that you can
> describe in six words doesn't seem all that confusing.

Oops, I see a problem. Right now, our first major release has no zero,
e.g. 9.2, while our minors have a third digit, 9.2.5. The problem is
that with this patch it is confusing to have a psql config file that
matches 9.2.0, but not 9.2.5, because you can't write 9.2.0. A file
called .psql-9.2 matches 9.2.0, but also matches 9.2.X if there is no
matching minor release file. The bottom line is that with this patch,
.psql-9.2 is both a minor and possibly minor matcher. I can't blame the
patch, but rather our version numbering system.

Prior to the patch 9.2 always meant just 9.2.0. This patch adds an
additional confusion.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com