Re: Discrepancy in 9.1 Documentation on CREATE ROLE

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Adams <ron(at)constellationmedia(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Discrepancy in 9.1 Documentation on CREATE ROLE
Date: 2011-10-11 15:11:34
Lists: pgsql-docs

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas wrote:
> >>
> >> OK, brace yourself...
> >>
> >> You're mixing up the CREATEUSER option to the CREATE ROLE command with
> >> the completely separate command CREATE USER.
> >>
> >> See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createuser.html
> >>
> >> I wonder if we ought to consider removing CREATEUSER and NOCREATEUSER
> >> as synonyms for SUPERUSER and NOSUPERUSER. ?It looks like that change
> >> was made in 8.1, which is now EOL.
> >
> > Agreed. ?They might still appear in dumps so maybe just remove
> > documentation about them.
>
> They shouldn't appear in any non-ancient dumps, and we don't guarantee
> that those will work anyway: you're suppose to pg_dump with the new
> version of pg_dump, running against the old cluster.

Well, we have pg_dump support for 7.3 dumps (2002), so I don't see a
reason to remove that capability. Now, if we want to remove that
support, then it would make sense to remove the rest, but I think people
are still assuming old dumps can load, especially if they have the dump
but not the 7.3 server installed.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com