Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, "Mr(dot) Aaron W(dot) Swenson" <titanofold(at)gentoo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting
Date: 2011-10-01 17:33:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> >
> > > That would certainly solve the problem, though it would have to be
> > > backpatched all the way back to 8.4, and it would require pg_upgrade
> > > users to be on newer minor versions of Postgres.
> >
> > I would just say "no" to people who expect this to work against older
> > versions of Postgres. I think it's sufficient if we get this into HEAD
> > so that it will work in the future.
>
> Well, it is going to work in the future only when the _old_ version is
> 9.2+. Specifically, pg_upgrade using the flag could be patched to just
> 9.2, but the flag has to be supported on old and new backends for that
> to work.

OK, I started working on #3, which was to start the servers to find the
data_directory setting, and developed the attached patch which mostly
does this. However, I have found serious problems with pg_ctl -w/wait
mode and config-only directories (which pg_upgrade uses), and will start
a new thread to address this issue and then continue with this once that
is resolved.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/pg_upgrade text/x-diff 6.2 KB