Re: overzealous sorting?

From: anthony(dot)shipman(at)symstream(dot)com
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: overzealous sorting?
Date: 2011-09-27 02:45:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Monday 26 September 2011 19:39, Marc Cousin wrote:
> Because Index Scans are sorted, not Bitmap Index Scans, which builds a
> list of pages to visit, to be then visited by the Bitmap Heap Scan step.
>
> Marc.

Where does this bitmap index scan come from? It seems to negate the advantages
of b-tree indexes described in the section "Indexes and ORDER BY" of the
manual. If I do "set enable_bitmapscan = off;" the query runs a bit faster
although with a larger time range it reverts to a sequential scan.

--
Anthony Shipman | Consider the set of blacklists that
Anthony(dot)Shipman(at)symstream(dot)com | do not blacklist themselves...