Re: Allow sorts to use more available memory

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Schnabel <schnabelr(at)missouri(dot)edu>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow sorts to use more available memory
Date: 2011-09-13 01:15:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

* Robert Schnabel (schnabelr(at)missouri(dot)edu) wrote:
> And getting back to the to-do list entry and reading the related
> posts, it appears that even if you could set work_mem that high it
> would only use 2GB anyway. I guess that was the second part of my
> question. Is that true?

Errr, and to get back to the to-do (which I've been considering doing
something about...), it's to allow the *actual* memory usage for things
like sorts to use more than 2GB, but as others have pointed out, you can
do that by putting pgsql_tmp on a memory filesystem and letting the
sorts spill to the memory-based FS.

Thanks,

Stephen