BUG #6176: pg_dump dumps pg_catalog tables

From: "Chander Ganesan" <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6176: pg_dump dumps pg_catalog tables
Date: 2011-08-25 13:00:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6176
Logged by: Chander Ganesan
Email address: chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.4
Operating system: Centos 5.6
Details:

Normally, the pg_dump command ignored the pg_catalog tables when performing
a dump. However, when provided the '--table' argument it fails to ignore
the pg_catalog table.

For example, suppose I had tables p1-p10 that I wanted to dump, I could use
the following command:

pg_dump test_db --table 'p*'

This command would dump the requested tables, but it would also dump all the
tables (in all schemas) that start with 'p*' . Generally speaking, there
are no "excluded schemas" when using the pg_dump command with the '--table'
argument.

It is my belief that the pg_catalog tables should almost always be ignored
(lest restores fail miserably).