Re: pg_restore silently chokes on object comments/descriptions ending in a backslash

From: Julian Mehnle <julian(at)mehnle(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore silently chokes on object comments/descriptions ending in a backslash
Date: 2011-07-27 04:01:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I'm subscribed to the pgsql-bugs list, so no need to CC me. :-)

Tom Lane wrote:

> Reproduced here against HEAD. The problem seems to be that
> pg_backup_db.c's _sendSQLLine() contains a mini SQL lexer that is not
> cognizant of standard_conforming_strings.

Oh, right, I forgot to mention I have standard_conforming_strings enabled.
However, I understand that is to become the new default anyway.

> Not sure about a simple fix,
> and I rather wonder if we shouldn't try to remove that code entirely
> instead of "fix" it.

What would "removing that code entirely" mean?

> As a temporary workaround, the SQL text file that pg_restore produces
> by default seems to be valid, so you could pipe that into psql.

Hmm, right. So at least my existing dumps aren't useless. Thanks.

-Julian