Re: Adding Japanese README

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding Japanese README
Date: 2011-06-29 23:55:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think this is basically a bad idea, because 90% of the developers will
> be unable to update such a file when changing the source code, or even
> verify whether it's an accurate translation. Thus it will inevitably
> become out-of-date, and that seems worse than useless. I'm fairly
> dubious that someone who doesn't read English will be able to make much
> sense of the source code anyway.

This is the same argument as Kevin raised. My idea is defining
"maintainer" for each non English README who is responsible for
updating in timely manner. If the mainter is too lazy, we would be
able to remove the file before releasing new version. In another word,
the released version of PostgreSQL will always have accurate README,
which itself valuable for those who are in charge of maintaining older
versions.

>> Please note that I am not against adding README translated in other
>> language. I just don't understand other than Japanese.
>
> That's another problem: if we add Japanese, why not six or seven other
> languages?

That's basically the same problem as message translation. If we have
to wait until six or seven langugae speakers appear before putting
Japanese README written in particular language, why didn't do that way
for message translation? It seems your argument is not fair here.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan