Re: FOREIGN TABLE doc fix

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FOREIGN TABLE doc fix
Date: 2011-06-16 16:15:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Right, but I think he needs the "it's not easy, here's the whole
workflow" overview first.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D. reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist phone: 713-348-6166

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 04:54:13PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> >> Oh joy. There's a GSoC student working on 2 non-trivial FDW's right
> >> now, and I have a couple I've been working on. If we're going to make
> >> the API incompatible to that extent, we might as well not bother :-(
> >>

> > If nobody bothers then there won't be any experience on which to base a
> > stable API. In particular, I think it's crucial that we get working FDWs for
> > MySQL, SQLServer and Oracle ASAP.
>
> Yeah - MySQL is one of the ones I've been hacking on. It's hard to be
> motivated if its going to need a complete rewrite within a year
> though. I'll still have to work on it, as I've committed to giving
> talks on it, but others might not bother to even start.

I think PostgreSQL has a better track record (especially recently) than
most open source projects at supporting the shared incremental creation and
improvement of first-class features. Yes, getting the first cut of FDW
in place was hard: now it's time for users of that feature to take the
leap of faith and write some code. The faith bit is that others _will_
come forward to help with the rewrites necessary to make it work (or
work better) for their use cases.