Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-06-03 20:42:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just to throw out a crazy idea, there has been talk of bug ids. What if
a thread, made up of multiple message ids, was in fact the bug id, and
the first message in the thread (ignoring month boundaries) was the
definitive bug id, but any of the message ids could be used to represent
the definitive one.

That way, a message id mentioned in a commit message could track back to
the definitive bug id and therefore be used to close the bug.

If you think of it that way, your email stream is just a stream of
threads, with a definitive bug id per thread, that is either "not a
bug", "a bug", " a fix", or "other".

In a way, all you need to do is for someone to add the "thread" to the
bug system via email, and change its status via email.

Yes, crazy, but that is kind of how I track open items in my mailbox.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com