Re: Another issue with invalid XML values

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another issue with invalid XML values
Date: 2011-06-01 22:02:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 06:16:21PM +0200, Florian Pflug wrote:
> On Jun1, 2011, at 03:17 , Florian Pflug wrote:
> > My nagging suspicion is that libxml reports errors like there via some callback function, and only returns a non-zero result if there are structural errors in the XML. But my experience with libxml is pretty limited, so maybe someone with more experience in this area can shed some light on this...
>
> As it turns out, this is actually the case.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this. I had wondered why, for some versions
of libxml2, xml_in would accept things that xmllint rejected. Sounds like the
list of errors that actually affect the return code has changed over time.

> Anyway, I'll try to come up with a patch that replaces xmlSetGenericErrorFunc() with xmlSetStructuredErrorFunc().

Sounds sensible. Will this impose any new libxml2 version dependency?