Re: problem with update data sets from front ends 8.4, Ubuntu 10.04

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Dean le Roux <projserve(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: problem with update data sets from front ends 8.4, Ubuntu 10.04
Date: 2011-05-24 01:04:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Monday, May 23, 2011 9:53:47 am Dean le Roux wrote:
> postgres 8.3 to 8.4 Open office base 3.2 Ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04 (new
> install)

Did the OO version change also?

> I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 10.04. Security and other
> updates have been effected. I used webmin to restore the databases.
>
> Since migrating to Linux around 2006 we were successful in converting our
> mdb file to postgresql - only one glitch was a difference in -1 as YES. We
> successfully used the systems with open office as a front end for the last
> few years. Until now - after the upgrade I can view data but not update
> data.

Usually, in Base, that indicates that it can not find a primary key.
FYI:
The below is redundant:

CONSTRAINT "FINANCEDETAILS_pkey" PRIMARY KEY ("FINDETID"),
CONSTRAINT "FINANCEDETAILS_FINDETID_key" UNIQUE ("FINDETID")

From the docs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-createtable.html

"Technically, PRIMARY KEY is merely a combination of UNIQUE and NOT NULL, but
identifying a set of columns as primary key also provides metadata about the
design of the schema, as a primary key implies that other tables can rely on
this set of columns as a unique identifier for rows. "

> Experience with sql is very limited as I have always used sql query
> builders over the years. The system has worked well with multiple tables,
> and in the past there was no problems with sending sql statements to
> postgresql.
>
> My problem in OOO 3.2 base (other front ends also) is that there is
> continually a problem with not allowing queries to update data back to
> postgresql.

What are you using to connect to the database JDBC, ODBC, other?

> I believe something has changed perhaps in sql from 8.3 to 8.4, or I have
> missed something with restoring the files.

Did you do a full restore or selective?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com