Re: data import via COPY, Rules + Triggers

From: Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <postgresql3(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: data import via COPY, Rules + Triggers
Date: 2011-05-07 09:39:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, 4 May 2011 23:48:04 +0100
Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <postgresql3(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de> wrote:

>I have got a database that needs to be populated, first with historical
>data, then on a daily basis.[...]
>Once imported, data will neither be modified nor deleted.
>
>Data come in denormalized CSV formats. [...]
>I created interim tables matching the structure of the CSV formats
>I want to import via COPY and distribute the data to
>the "proper" tables via triggers.

[...]

I am the only user of the system and at the moment I have only one
database user.

I only want the insdert/update triggers to be executed when I am
importing data. There might be situations where I need to intervene
"manually" and fix some data without the triggers being actioned.

How about creating a second user through whom the imports are done?

I could query current_user in the trigger and simply skip the trigger
actions for any other user.

QUESTION:
Or could I do something more sophisticated with privileges?

--
Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz