Re: pg_upgrade cleanup

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade cleanup
Date: 2011-04-26 01:39:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > The attached applied patch improves pg_upgrade by: ?avoiding one
> > start/stop of the postmaster; ?using the -w (wait) flag for pg_ctl
> > start/stop; ?removing the unused "quiet" flag in the functions for
> > starting/stopping the postmaster.
>
> It is well past time to stop tweaking pg_upgrade for 9.1. Feature
> freeze was three months ago, and the risk of introducing new bugs at
> this point surely outweighs any gain we might get from the changes.
> We should only be fixing *bugs* at this point.

Someone at PG East complained pg_upgrade wasn't fast enough for his
usage, so I tried to speed it up. (I guess it was a bug for him.) I
think not using -w for pg_ctl could be a potential bug because we wack
around the files underneath the postmaster when we think it is shut
down. The "quiet" change was just a cleanup.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com