BUG #5969: ecpg can't see sqlca

From: "Daniel Lyons" <fusion(at)storytotell(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #5969: ecpg can't see sqlca
Date: 2011-04-08 22:47:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 5969
Logged by: Daniel Lyons
Email address: fusion(at)storytotell(dot)org
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.3
Operating system: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE
Details:

Under the current FreeBSD and the current PostgreSQL, ecpg-processed C
programs don't see the sqlca global variable. This wreaks havoc with error
handling. For example:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

EXEC SQL INCLUDE sqlca;

int main()
{
/* stop on any error */
EXEC SQL WHENEVER SQLERROR STOP;

/* connect to a non-existent database */
EXEC SQL CONNECT TO nonexistentdb USER nonexistentuser;

/* if we get here, something is wrong. */
printf("I'm still here, even though this database doesn't exist.\n");
return 0;
}

Same program does the right thing on a Linux machine I have access to, so it
may be a platform issue.