Re: trivial patch: show SIREAD pids in pg_locks

From: Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trivial patch: show SIREAD pids in pg_locks
Date: 2011-04-01 18:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 12:20:25PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> I thought we already had that, but clearly I was mistaken.

Yeah, so did I. Turns out we had the vxid but not the pid. IIRC, we
weren't tracking a SERIALIZABLEXACT's pid yet, at the time we wrote the
code for pg_locks.

> I guess the question is whether it's OK to include this during the
> alpha testing phase. Even though it's a little bit of a stretch to
> call it a bug, the argument could be made that omitting information
> which all the other rows in the view have is an inconsistency which
> borders on being a bug. The small size and verifiable safety of the
> patch work in its favor.

There's no urgent need to have this, although it's obviously more
correct than the current behavior. It might be useful for debugging. The
patch is also all of four lines. :-)

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports MIT CSAIL http://drkp.net/