Re: Pre-set Hint bits/VACUUM FREEZE on data load..?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pre-set Hint bits/VACUUM FREEZE on data load..?
Date: 2011-03-24 21:54:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Heikki Linnakangas (heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com) wrote:
> The problem is that you still need to track which queries within the
> transaction can see the tuples. For example:

Wow, that's a good point wrt cursors. Sounds more and more like we'd
need a special data-loading mode for this where we'd have to disallow
those options. I've been thinking that's a frowned-upon approach in
general, but let me ask specifically- are we uninterested in such a
special 'data-load' mode? Or do we expect that the limitations would be
too great to make it useful enough for users? That last I don't think I
agree with..

Thanks,

Stephen