Re: Huge spikes in number of connections doing "PARSE"

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Huge spikes in number of connections doing "PARSE"
Date: 2011-03-15 10:32:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:13:21AM -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
> What is a typical lifespan for a backend in this system? What sort of
> connection pooling are you using, if any?

quite long, but:

we have n (~ 40 i think) web servers. each webserver has it's own
pgbouncer (in session pooling).

application connects to pgbouncer, issues (usually) single query, and
disconnects.

pgbouncers are set to close oder connections, if unused, after (i think
2 minutes. (i don't actually have access there).

generally, through the day we see from 400 to 800 connections, mostly
idle, but sometimes it goes much higher (like 1400), and then the
connections are mostly parsing.

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
http://depesz.com/